Ever since I moved in with grandma, I have had THE WORST sweet tooth!
I've NEVER really been one to crave sugar, especially in-season.
(except for tropical starbursts. those will always be my weakness)
This morning I went to the grocery store to pick up some treats for my swim lesson kids.
This was a bad idea mainly because:
1) it was right after practice, meaning I was HUNGRY
2) You're never supposed to go to the grocery store when you're hungry, and
3) I obviously ended up in the candy isle to buy my swim lesson treats.
Walking through that isle and deciding what to buy STRANGELY enough (ha) gave me the most random craving...
Lets just say I may or may not have eaten an entire bag of black licorice today...
And I enjoyed every minute of it.
I have the best job in the entire world.
Why? I get the combination of 3 of my favorite things into 1:
swimming, kids, and teaching.
But I have a little list to prove it, too:
Reason #1: I don't have to shower, put on makeup, or brush my hair or teeth before work! (JK ABOUT THE TEETH)
Reason # 2: I taught a boy a few weeks ago that resembled one of my favorite tv show characters...
Every time I looked at this little kid, I couldn't help but SMILE because Manny is so loveable and hilarious!
I just looked on youtube for a clip of Manny and unfortunately just spent the last 45 minutes watching hilarious clips from Modern Family with Trev. SO FUNNY!!! If you haven't seen this show (and even if you have) WATCH THESE and you are guaranteed a laugh!
I couldn't find any good ones of Manny, but trust me. He is THE BEST!
WHEW! (Tangent: if you haven't noticed this blog is nothing but tangents. I feel like that's just kind of how life is. Nothing in life is formally introduced; we don't get a preview of what's going to happen- life just kinda HAPPENS and we make it work! Ooo wasn't that deep?! but seriously back to my real tangent... ah shoot. Forgot what I was going to say. Dang tangents)
Numero 3 reason why I love my job: The cute things the kids say. For example, I was trying to get a little girl to swim backstroke with straight arms and told her to reach for a plate of cookies on the top shelf. She then went on to say: "What if mom says no?"
4. Yesterday I got a $50 dollar tip. NBD.
5. I taught a 7 year old girl who had a near death experience in a pool at the age of 2 and has since been extremely terrified of water. She screamed, cried, kicked, told me she hated swimming, and it just went on and on every single day for almost 2 weeks. My ears were ringing after her lessons because they were so miserable for her. She wouldn't leave the steps, and if I pulled her out with me she screamed harder and tried to climb up me to get out of the water. To be honest, I have NEVER wanted to give up on a kid until this little girl came along... I knew I couldn't though. It took almost 2 weeks, but yesterday she floated and today she swam to the deep end BY HERSELF! I was so proud of her for overcoming her fear, that I almost had tears in my eyes.
She told me today that all she could dream about the night before was how she could swim, and how it wasn't scary! THAT is why I have the best job in the world.
This experience has really made me realize how blessed I am to have the talents God gave me, and how lucky I am that I get to share my talent with these kids every single day. As EXHAUSTING as it is to teach for 4 hours after a long practice and little sleep, it's always worth it at the end of the session when the kids are confident and happy swimmers.
I. LOVE. MY. JOB. :)
The end.... this post has taken me a ridiculously long time to write. I blame youtube.